Broccoli is placed on almost every super foods list because it’s low in calories, and is rich in nutrients and beneficial phytochemicals.
We have included a little bacon in this to give a little smokey flavour however if you are vegetarian omit this and use vegetable stock. This recipe serves 6 so any leftovers place in single serve containers and freeze for another day.
This recipe is low fat, low sodium, low sugar and dairy free.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 short cut bacon slices, diced (aka Canadian Bacon or Back Bacon)
- 1 large zucchini, sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups beef stock, heated
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 large broccoli cut into pieces (use stem as well)
- Cracked pepper to taste (we used lots)
- In a large pot (we used a slow cooker) heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until softened, do not burn. Should take around 8 mins on med heat.
- Now add bacon and cook a further 5 mins. After 5 mins add garlic and cook a further 30 sec.
- Add heated stock, oregano, pepper, potato and bay leaf. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add the broccoli and zucchini and parsley.
- Put lid on and simmer on low heat for 45 mins until all broccoli has broken up.
- Take out bay leaf and with a stick blender in the pot blend until all smooth.
- Serve with crusty bread.
+91-8130565329 / 9999245231
105, Harlal Market, Near Deepali Chowk, Opp. M2K Rohini, Rohini, Sector-7, New Delhi